Ordered my iX1 M Sport, with a bumped build slot!

All BMW iX1 related discussions
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Hi all,
First post :)

After much deliberation over several different EVs (EQA, i4, Polestar 2, iX1, and even a Mini !), I opted for the iX1 M Sport (even though I've not driven one yet :o - I'm assuming nobody else has yet?). I placed my order on 31/12/2022 which made the dealer very happy as was month end and year end, so helped with his sales targets (not that he gave me any real discounts or recognition for it!)

Anyhow, spec I've gone with is:
M Sport, Portimao Blue, Black leather, sunroof, M Sport Pro pack, Comfort pack, Tech plus pack. Pretty much every option except the £150 luggage nets! :D Dealer eventually crumbled on my repeated attempts at negotiation and threw in Protect X Ceramic, though I actually wanted a monetary discount rather than thrown in extras. Hey ho! The paint will look nice! :D

I was told they had sold their Q1 and Q2 allocations; and their Q3 allocations had not been released yet. So was basically in a queue to get a Q3 build slot as and when they were released, with an estimated delivery of late August / September.

I went away happy, but then considered my options a few days later. The dealership had done me no real favours on the deal, and could not guarantee me a build slot or delivery. It dawned on me that I could buy this car from any dealership at that price, and if I could find a dealership with an earlier build slot then that's what I should do ....

Most dealers I phoned said the same thing re build slot availability, and I felt like I was on a bit of a fool's errand. But then it dawned on me ... perhaps there is a "demographic" consideration when looking for a dealership? I don't consider myself particularly rich or well off, but I do live in an area of the country that perhaps is more affluent than other areas, and we certainly have a growing and developing charging infrastructure. Maybe there are less affluent areas of the country where people perhaps can't stretch to a £60K+ car; or more rural areas of the country that don't yet have the charging infrastructure. Could I find a dealership in those areas that perhaps still had iX1 build slot allocations?

Long story cut short .... yes!

I found a dealership that had an April build slot with a May delivery, and would match the deal including the Protect X Ceramic!

But it gets better .... I phoned the original dealership to tell them and to cancel my order and get my deposit back (I wanted to ensure I got my deposit back before placing the order with the new dealership). I imagine there was a bit of frantic "conversation" at the dealership, and 2 hours later they phoned me back with the fortuitous news that as luck would have it, one of their Q1 customers has just cancelled, and I can have their build slot if I want it! How very co-incidental! :D I suspect this is actually the dealership demonstrator order build slot that I now have, but hey, what do I care? :) I now have a confirmed build slot with a confirmed production week (status 112) of 05/02/23, with an expected delivery week of 09/03/23 !!! :D

So, moral of the story ... if your local dealership are not doing you any favours on price and you're faced with very long lead times, cast your net a little wider. There are definitely dealerships who have available build slot allocations :)
2023 iX1 M Sport in Portimao Blue, 20" M 869 Alloys, Leather, Pano roof, Tech Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack

WHEATERSIOW

Post by WHEATERSIOW »

I took delivery of my iX1 just before Christmas…how the hell you may ask. I placed my order in September with the 2nd biggest BMW dealer here in Toulouse, FRANCE where I live. It wasn’t supposed to be built until next March but production was brought forward, I suspect because they wanted to get it registered in 2022 (Watch Harry’s Garage about electric cars and why sales peaked in Dec.)
Mine is an MSport in Portimao Blue too…but with red and black seats which I don’t think are available in the UK. Speccing the car was a nightmare and I almost came to blows with the salesman. The packs are a bit different in France but I was very annoyed I had to have the premium pack at €2100 in order to get an auto interior mirror. I hate having to pay again to have heated seats or adaptive cruise. I hope enough buyers complain about this greedy practice by BMW and they drop the idea. So, how do I like the car ? Very much, it is very quick, perhaps too quick for a 71 year old who's reactions are not what they were. Just one weakness…the steering is devoid of feel even in sport setting. We've had a Mini Electric and a 5 series and both had much safer steering with real feel. I hope that they can weight it up by a software download. I’ve yet to read a full review but I'm sure I won’t be alone. It is a very relaxed car to drive and of course, very quiet. It rides very well and is well damped considering it weighs around 2100kg. Funny you should mention that you left off the luggage net…it was made in China and looks like something one would buy on Ebay, absolute crap and totally out of keeping. You may find that your production slot moves forward too.

B9FFBECC-41BA-466F-8608-D3687EED43F1.jpeg

AB51D62D-D30C-4CD3-9487-C38DF512F7F6.jpeg

4BA12A7C-C9E5-4676-BCE5-4129B02E6122.jpeg

WHEATERSIOW

Post by WHEATERSIOW »

FA38C3DC-00DC-4EFA-9C75-5648F8FAD96C.jpeg

iX1_2023

Post by iX1_2023 »

Congrats on the early delivery! Looks great.

I’m glad to see someone else specced the M Sport with 19” wheels like I have for efficiency!

How are you finding the efficiency by the way?
What kind of consumption have you experienced so far?

I know what you mean about electric vehicles and their acceleration…it’s…ludicrous! :)

Happy driving!
WHEATERSIOW

Post by WHEATERSIOW »

I'm still trying to work it out. This is the screen showing consumption.

116D0B52-1B70-4434-AB2E-2E32AF1A1385.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

@WHEATERSIOW - Thanks for posting the pics of your car. I'm so glad I went with the blue, that looks like a glorious colour :D
And you are right about that cargo net! Totally not in keeping with the brand etc.

Looking forward all the more to getting mine now I have seen yours! :D (your red interior looks really nice BTW, shame its not a UK option)
2023 iX1 M Sport in Portimao Blue, 20" M 869 Alloys, Leather, Pano roof, Tech Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack