Idrive 09....?

All BMW iX1 related discussions
Ole

Post by Ole »

Does anyone know if ix1 produced after 01.03.2023 will get the up coming Idrive-09-system installed?
Or maybe just 08-system......?

Regards
Ole
Denmark

BFM

Post by BFM »

I understood X1 (maybe that is also iX1?) from March. The build slot we have is mid March so fingers crossed!

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/01/04/bmw-x1-idrive-9/
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ooh, will be interesting to see what my iX1 comes with. Mine has been built (early February build slot), and has been confirmed by the dealer as built and in transit; with an expected date to me of early March.
I'll let you know in a few short weeks whether mine is iDrive 8 or 9 :D
2023 iX1 M Sport in Portimao Blue, 20" M 869 Alloys, Leather, Pano roof, Tech Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack
MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, I picked up my iX1 yesterday afternoon! :D

Re: which version of iDrive it has .... any idea how I would tell? Never having had a BMW before the whole interface is new to me, and I've been in the car for literally 20 mins so far! :D
So if there's a particular menu you want me to go into, or screen layout/design, to identify the version, let me know and I'll report back
2023 iX1 M Sport in Portimao Blue, 20" M 869 Alloys, Leather, Pano roof, Tech Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack
contender

Post by contender »

Looks more like the iDrive 9 OS won't be out for a while -what has changed is that the head unit has been upgraded to something which will run it.

It sounds like the OS will be based on Android Automotive, as Volvo/Polestar and Stellantis already ship. In those vehicles you get Google maps and voice recognition in exchange for (a) Google refusing to direct you unless you are logged in, (b) complications with multiple drivers (see:a) and (c) no CarPlay support from Google. Which is why Volvo and Polestar only added it late last year, having to implement it themselves.

If BMW do as they promise and continue with their own apps then you would get those and the benefit of anyone's Android Automotive app running in the car itself (waze, etc), just as most Smart TVs have gone over to android TV. It's probably more sustainable than a car manufacturer trying to do the entire platform and convince third-parties like Spotify to support it.

But for now, you'd need to work out what head unit is installed as the OS will still be 8.0. Bit of a let down to everyone who has/gets a model with the older head unit though less so if they plan to use their phone for all the useful things
Worcester-iX1

Post by Worcester-iX1 »

Hi, I was having a look around the ix1 configurator on bmw.co.uk to see how much prices had changed since I ordered in December 22. Note that "BMW Operating System 9 with navigation" is now listed in the configurator. But my build which is happening now for Mid May delivery won't have this. And will be delivered with 8 or 8.5.. who knows..?